[DML] Re: Driving DMC on salted roads

Adam,

It sounds like your question is "I want to drive my DeLorean on salted roads.  What do I have to do to make this possible?"

If this is the case, then the frame is just one part that needs protection.  There are brake lines, cv shafts, electrical connectors, etc.

Road salt becomes an aerosol and diffused into any hole in the vehicle.

I, over the past 50 years,  have had many vehicle that have "lived" through and been destroyed by the road salt used in Chicago. During these years, we have experimented on what will protect the car and the items under neath.

Years ago, a friend used to spray the underside of his car, every year, with 80-90 weight oil until everything was totally drenched.   This definitely slowed down the corrosion process. What was great about this is that you could spray into all the holes so some of the internal rust from the inside out was drastically reduced.

There was the undercoating materials.  Very thick, very black,  and this worked as long as it was properly adhered to the base metal.  However, the only way to do this properly, was to buy a new car in the summer - drive it home and totally undercoat the car - many times with a good flexible under coating.   AMC did this with their cars, but did not get into the inside of the channels so they rusted from the inside out.

Here is what we have found to be most successful on used cars, so far. We have 2 cars from the 70s that we drive in the winter and they still are around.

1. Put the car on a lift.
2. High pressure wash the undercarriage.
3. Do this in hot dry weather so the car thoroughly dries.
4. Spray  phosphoric acid rust converter into every hole and all over everything under the car.
5. Let this dry for a number of days.
6. Spray everything with Por 15. We prefer Silver.   Make sure to get inside the holes.
7. Disconnect every electrical connector and light socket and spray lots of conductive grease to seal out water and salt.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)