[DML] Re: Importance of a Fire Extinguisher

[DML] Re: Importance of a Fire Extinguisher

I carry a regular (type C?) fire extinguisher in my cars -- and I realy don't know why I don't carry Halon extinguishers! They are more expensive and I am being too cheap maybe? If you ever  had the misfortune of cleaning up after a regular extinguisher being used, then you probably would switch to Halon!

In an earlier posting I mentioned that I only had to use an extinguisher once -- to help somebody that did in fact have a fire and this is with driving with one aboard for over 40 years. On the other hand, several years ago some vandal  SOB emptied my extinguisher into the cabin of my Cessna -- and even after a whole day of cleaning up, there was still powder showing up years later. By comparison; Halon is a breeze to clean up.

(Another problem in an aircraft that  I have heard about;  if you use a regular extinguisher to douse a fire under the instrument panel when flying it is similar to flying into a cloud, i.e., you will for all practical purposes think that you have gone blind. Not an healthy condition in an aircraft OR a car!

Thanks for reminding me -- I'll switch to Halon before I drive my D again!

Roger
1074

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional