[DML] Re: Importance of a Fire Extinguisher

[DML] Re: Importance of a Fire Extinguisher

Kevin, David, Nick and all:

I have carried a fire extinguisher in my car(s) for many years, starting in my days of sports car racing in the 60's. I have only used it once, on the highway when a Fiat whipped by me and I caught up with him about a mile later - with flames and smoke coming out from under the hood. Turned out that the guy had borrowed the car from his brother-in-law and didn't even know how to open the hood! I gave it a squirt from underneath, opened the hood and quenched the fire in short order. The guy was hysterically thankful and wanted to buy the now empty extinguisher from me. I refused and told him to do the same favor to somebody else next time.

In my other cars I keep the extinguisher in the trunk, but in the D I have it mounted so I can easily reach it from the drivers seat (and I have one of those little hammers with a seat belt cutter in the same area). Not that I am paranoid about safety -- just ask my wife -- but in a worst case situation you are upside down in a D, unable to open the doors. With a fire starting I KNOW that I would prefer to be the hell out of there -- and pretty damned quick at that!

Pro active is the word, spiced with a bit of Operational Risk Management!

Roger
1074

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional