Re: [DML] Delorean Cold Start Issue

Adam,

Before you start any repairs try this:

Let the car sit for a few days. Make sure you give it enough time to expect
a hard start.
Turn the key on but DO NOT try to start it. Do not crank the engine. Just
turn the key on and listen if you can hear the fuel pump. You should hear a
hum from the front of the car and a buzz from the frequency valve in the
engine bay. The pump and the valve should run for about two seconds and
stop.
Do you hear them running?

If you do, wait for the pump to stop and turn the key off. Turn it back on
and wait for the pump to stop. Make sure the pump runs three times and on
the forth turn of the key start the engine.
Does it start?

If you turn the key on and do NOT hear the pump running you can make it run
by turning the key off and quickly turning it back on. The pump should run
for two seconds. Make sure the key is off very briefly, less than a second.
This should trigger your RPM relay.

The purpose of this test is to see if your RPM relay primes the fuel system
after turning the key on. Some do and some don't. My RPM relay doesn't prime
after first turning the key on. To make sure my car starts right away I
prime it manually by turning the key off and on three times. Then it starts
right away... on the first power stroke.
If it doesn't start right away and you still need to crank it for a long
time it might be a number of things like:
-weak fuel pump - when was it last replaced?
-clogged fuel filter - when was it last replaced?
-bad/wrong spark plugs - when were they last replaced and what
type/temperature are they?
-bad plug wires - same as above

When it finally starts, does it idle smoothly? Does the RPM hunt? Can you
drive away right after starting or does it loose power when you touch the
accelerator?
When properly tuned the car should start in the first second of cranking,
RPM should NOT hunt and you should be able to drive it away right after
starting with good performance in all throttle positions.

Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

Greetings from Poland!
Tom Niemczewski
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086
Google earth: 52°25'17.66"N, 21° 1'58.40"E
www.deloreana.com