[DML] Delorean Cold Start Issue

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this question sounds dumb! I know I should have a
bit more mechanical knowledge for the sake of the car.  J

As long as I could remember, when I left my D without starting it for 3+
days it would take a few attempts at cranking to get it to start.  Leaving
it for 7+ days would increase the starting difficulty and leaving it for 10+
days would lead to a high likelihood of the D not starting.  I originally
thought this was a battery problem (even though it would crank fine) and the
battery would drain after continually trying to start it.  Jump starting
would work much of the time, and I got a new battery anyway and drove it
more frequently to prevent the problem.

To make a long story short, after leaving the D for 10 days for a vacation
recently, I could not start it upon my return. After trying to start it for
2 days, I decided to put a few gallons of gas in and it started after 3 or
so tries. The D did have about 1/3 tank of gas to begin with.  The fact that
adding gas worked led me to believe that the engine was not getting enough
fuel and there is something wrong with the cold start valve/system. I
suppose I can just start the car everyday to avoid this from happening
again, but given that I cannot always be in town, is there an actual fix for
this or is this a typical Delorean issue that cannot be repaired for good? I
have the workshop manual, so any references to a section in there or
specific parts necessary for the repair and I can take it to my local
mechanic. I searched the DMCTalk archive for this problem and didn't find
anything conclusive to help me.

The temperature has been around 90 degrees lately and the car is garaged
(not air conditioned) and well maintained.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Troy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional