Re: [DML] Engine cover screens - necessary or not?

Re: [DML] Engine cover screens - necessary or not?

Thank you all! I appreciate all the answers and ideas.

Rod - I don't like driving the DeLorean in the rain either but you can't
always predict the weather. Even when riding a motorcycle I got wet a few
times... while trying to avoid the rain. It would be easier in dry areas
like Nevada or Utah but not here in Europe. So, I want to do something about
it. You are right, heat is an enemy for all things electrical but so is
water. Plus, water doesn't do any good for the A/C clutch.

I'm really glad you still appreciate the wide angle mirrors. Thank you. I
still have a few sets left so if anyone ever needs a set they are still
available.

Welmoed - Even though you say that you are not an engineer you do sound like
one ;) What you say makes perfect sense! I'm just wondering if the heat
buildup in the engine bay will be so significant. When I lived in Florida my
DeLorean had a hard time staying cool. The fans would start every time I
would stop at a red light and would stay running for a long time. But here
in Poland it rarely gets so hot and I could probably get away without the
fans... most of the time at least. It makes me wonder if the screens were
added to keep the engine cool in hot summer days in southern states like
Florida. It might be just fine in colder climates.
BTW, I do keep the car in a garage. Nice and cool in the summer and warm in
the winter but I want to drive it as much as I can and not worry about the
rain.

Nick - I will do an experiment. I will install an engine bay thermometer and
see what difference the screens make. Just wanted to see what others think
about it. Thanks!

David - The alternator is low to the ground and I don't believe it will be
affected, but there is a risk of raising the temperature. Now, about the
forced cooling... I don't like the idea of adding another fan to the car.
It's an additional load for the weak electrical system and another thing
that might fail. I did think about adding some kind of flaps to the cover
that would be controlled by a thermostat. They would open when the engine is
hot and close when it cools down. I though about using one of those bi-metal
or gel filled thermostats that control air intake flap - pure mechanical
part, no electricity, they virtually never fail.

Pete - This is a little misconception. The engine doesn't get hotter because
it can't. The so called heat soak is not a heating up of the engine as a
whole but transfer of heat. When the engine is running some parts are hotter
(exhaust manifold) and some are cooler (oil pan). When you stop the engine
the temperature starts to equalize. As a result the cooler parts do actually
get warmer. The engine heads will warm up from the hot exhaust for instance.
There is no more coolant circulating to keep some parts cooler. The same
goes for other systems and a good example is the fuel system. With the
engine running the circulating gasoline keeps the fuel components cooler. As
you stop the engine those parts heat up from the engine block and so, the
fuel distributor gets so hot that fuel will vaporize in the lines and
prevent the engine from restarting. That is why Bosch installed a fuel
accumulator to keep the gas under pressure and prevent boiling.

OK, again, thank you everyone for posting your ideas. I will do some
experiments to see what difference the screens make. I will post my
findings. Don't expect anything anytime soon. It's way to cold (it's still
snowing) to do any overheating experiments. Besides, my engine is still not
in the car....

Greetings from Poland!
Tom Niemczewski
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086
Google earth: 52°25'17.66"N, 21° 1'58.40"E

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)