[DML] Re: Automatic Transmission Filters or Not? That is the question.

[DML] Re: Automatic Transmission Filters or Not? That is the question.

You run without a filter at your own peril. It should be cleanable and if the bronze screen is too messed up to reuse you can always get a new piece. You should have some kind of screen so large pieces cannot get to the pump and damage it. The filter also helps to prevent foaming and aerating of the fluid and the subsequent cavitation in the pump and loss of pressure. To properly clean the filter it MUST be disassembled, you just can't get all of the dirt out of it any other way. There is a procedure in the Files section. If you still have the old filters I would be interested in buying them.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ltshaneclarke" <ltshaneclarke@...> wrote:

> Good evening team!
>
> It is that time of year to service my D and my stash of auto transmission filters is finally depleted.
>
> I have been cleaning my final filter and reusing it over the past few years and it is now a no go from wear.
>
> I researched the archives and found some traffic saying that DMCH and some owners aren't running filters in their cars anymore since they are no longer being made.
>
> Is that the case currently?  Should I go ahead and run my car without the filter?
>
> Or, does anyone know of any supplier who has them in stock?
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
>
> Very respectfully,
> Shane Clarke
> Rocky Mountain DeLoreans Member
> 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN1991