[DML] Re: A message to prospective DeLorean owners

[DML] Re: A message to prospective DeLorean owners

I usually hate myself after I post to the DML for the same reason I get involved in the heated debate at the bar. I'm not even drinking here!

James- very nice work on assembling a badass Hitchhikers Guide to the Delorean. I intend on buying a copy for my own education, and to loan out to anyone else that was like me before I bought my car.

Lee Seiler- I remember that thread when I was a little piss-ant from the 90's. It's funny he's put in the same category as DMC Joe, even though Joe was extremely respected back then and offered a tremendous amount of advise and service to the community. I wanted to buy one of those models, but didn't. I hate it for those who got hosed in the deal. As an honorable mention response, I am finally planning on installing those Toby Peterson Iconel TAB's later this year. They've done a fantastic job providing structural reinforcement in the bottom of that cardboard box for all of these years!

Claude- weren't you the guy who sold a shitload of parts and some sort of pre-production nonsense DMC to Rob Grady many years ago as a huge deal, only for it to be disclosed later that it was mostly junk? Also, weren't you the only one to offer advice like "it's okay to remove a torsion bar without unloading it first, what's the worst that could happen?" I'd have to look in my DMCForum archives, but I think you were dubbed something clever like "Asshat" back in those days. If you weren't party to any of what I just said, forget I said anything. It could have been someone else named Claude. But as the facts show, you own a Bricklin- enjoy it. They're cool cars, and faster than most of our DeLoreans. Please let us enjoy our DeLoreans without spewing venom towards vendors, owners, or enthusiasts.

I've started driving my DeLorean on a regular basis again, and have been enjoying the hell out of it. I also have noticed that people today are more excited when they see the car than then I've ever seen, and I've owned my for 10 years. Pop culture has once again shined a light own our cars and everyone wants to have a DeLorean to help perpetuate their own awesomeness. I applaude those who want to buy a DeLorean and those who are passionate about maintaining them. It is horrible that there is so much crap to say when someone in the DMC community, especially Downtown Awesomeness themselves DMCH, comes out with positive information like this that will help maintain the market and therefore the vehicles for many years.

Has anyone ever considered converting the DML into a Facebook group? Our method of social networking is cumbersome and obselete. I don't see the DML as an information source for technical needs anymore, it's a bar where people come to compare tire sizes. It is fun to have the connection to the DeLorean community, because we all can come and share ideas or throw stones, but an email group or forum is getting the job done using very dated methods.

Damn, that was fun. Who wants to go get a beer now?

Eric Itzel

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: