[DML] Converting Stock A/C to R134

Forgot to mention: my multi-state tour of the Great Frozen North has included blissfully cold air from the A/C vents (the Great Frozen North is a tad less frozen this time of year). I am running all original components, except for the compressor itself and a replacement low pressure switch, with R134: hoses are original, condensor and evaporator are original, accumulator is original, orifice tube is original, even the O rings are original (fittings have rusted together in the intervening 31 years -- O rings are perfunctory at this point).

#5939 may not be much, but it does represent at least one counter example to the oft repeated mantra that every single component must be removed or replaced to convert from R12 to R134.

Given the extremely thin walls of A/C tubing, and the extremely thick layers of rust that usually bind their fittings together, an owner can sometimes do more damage trying to disassemble a 31 year old A/C system than leaving it intact and simply flushing/refilling.

IMHO.

Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional