Re: [DML] What would cause my blower fan (A/C) to quit after 1 minute?

Re: [DML] What would cause my blower fan (A/C) to quit after 1 minute?

Sorry I couldn't send you a more detailed answer earlier.  I was on
the road and simply did not have access to a computer to type out a
detailed response.  I thought someone else would be able to give you
the necessary information but apparently fighting about capacitors and
ground connections are more important to some people on this list.

Anyway, here is the answer to your question.  Believe it or not, one
of the many flaws in this car includes a circuit breaker issue.  The
factory circuit breaker for the AC blower is 25 amps.  Guess what!
The AC blower motor draws more than 25 amps when on speeds three and
four.  Replace the factory circuit breaker with a 30 amp circuit
breaker and the problem is solved.

A good source for relay/breaker/fuse location information is John
Hervey's website. Your AC Blower motor breaker should be in position
20 as indicated on Hervey's website.
http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/relay-compartment-references.html

If you walk into O'reilly's this is the part you will need.   Notice
the metal tab on the back.  You will need to bend it off of the
breaker to install it in the Delorean circuit breaker holder.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIT0/813030BP.oap?ck=Search_30+amp+circuit+breaker_-1_2314&keyword=30+amp+circuit+breaker

Also, you will need to put some round connectors on the wires in the
car and install the circuit breaker with the same wires on each side
as they were before.  This is the type of round connector I am talking
about.  Make sure whatever you buy will fit the gauge wire in the car
and around the terminals on the breaker.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR4/85414/N0219.oap?ck=Search_wire+ring_N0219_-1_2314&keyword=wire+ring&pt=N0219&ppt=C0189

Also, after you install the correct size circuit breaker be prepared
for people to bash you and tell you stuff like, this is bull, a 25 amp
circuit breaker is fine and the car was perfect when it left the
factory.  You can tell them your AC works as much as you want but they
will still call you an idiot.  Ignore them.  They are just bashing you
because they are jealous of your cold AC.

-Steve Rice
#16510

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Doug Menkhaus <dmenkhaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just keeps getting better.  The Previous owner apparently replaced both
> Circuit Breakers #18 and #19 before, and used replacements that didn't have
> the same spade connectors as OEM.  THANKFULLY instead of cutting off the
> wire harness ends they made adapters! :-)  Looks like I can just remove the
> adapters and put the replacements back in.
>
> But:  Which is which?  They are not in the stock location, they are just
> flopping around (see pic).  Without another DeLo to look at right now, I'm a
> little unsure.
>
> The Circuit Breaker on the left has 2 rather thick wires going to it, Brown
> with an Orange trace and Black with an Orange trace.  Given these wires are
> thicker than the other one, I'm guessing it's the Cool Fan Circuit Breaker,
> and gets the 40 amp breaker?
>
> The other mess next to it has 4 Brown Wires going to it, slighter smaller
> gauge than the other one.  Guessing this is the Blower Motor Circuit
> Breaker, and gets the 25 amp one?
>
> Thoughts?  Have a parade tomorrow and would really like to have high speed
> fans for the A/C, its HOT in Cincinnati!  :-)  THANKS
>
> Doogie

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: