From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 3 Jul 2012 08:58:05
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 6026

DML - the DeLorean Mailing List

       DML - the DeLorean Mailing List Group
     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbGQwbTUwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzExNTQzMjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MjE1BHNlYwNoZHIEc2xrA2hwaARzdGltZQMxMzQxMzA1ODg1>

 25 New Messages
 Digest #6026

 1a
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "content22207" content22207

 1b
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "content22207" content22207

 1c
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "Marc Levy" malevy_nj

 1d
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "jtrealtywebspannet" jtrealtywebspannet

 1e
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "content22207" content22207

 1f
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "Michael Griese" roscsyl

 1g
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "content22207" content22207

 1h
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "Martin Gutkowski" heavenrest

 1i
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "Michael Griese" roscsyl

 1j
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "Tom Niemczewski" Tomciodmc

 1k
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "content22207" content22207

 1l
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "content22207" content22207

 1m
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "Marc Levy" malevy_nj

 1n
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "stevedmc@xxxxxxxxx" stevedmc1982

 1o
  Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)  by "Martin Gutkowski" heavenrest

 2a
  Re: The sky is blue  by "content22207" content22207

 3.1
  Re: Capacitors, and &quot;Ground Bus&quot;  by "content22207" content22207

 3.2
  Re: Capacitors, and &quot;Ground Bus&quot;  by "Martin Gutkowski" heavenrest

 3.3
  Re: Capacitors, and &quot;Ground Bus&quot;  by "Martin Gutkowski" heavenrest

 3.4
  Re: Capacitors, and &quot;Ground Bus&quot;  by "Marc Levy" malevy_nj

 4
  DeLorean Mid-Atlantic's Summer Fun Run 2012  by "djdanwilson" djdanwilson

 5a
  Re: DeLoreans Sold on Ebay: 2012 Q2 Update (68 months of data)  by "PAUL LEGUTKI" chicagopaul7418

 6
  1981 AMC Wiring Diagrams (With *ONE* Capacitor Circled in Red)  by "content22207" content22207

 7a
  Grounding.  by "Cars" twodelos2

 7b
  Re: Grounding.  by "content22207" content22207

 1a

        Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)

 Mon Jul 2, 2012 9:54 am (PDT) . Posted by:

        "content22207"         content22207
         <mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>

 Single point isn't the problem. Most cars only have one point to the battery itself. The problem is only seven ground wires leading back to the rear bulkhead bolt -- there simply isn't enough wire on the negative side. There is a terrible disparity between electrical cross section on the positive side and on the negative side. That is why the DeLorean electrical system is so ridiculously noisy (which is giving the EFI boys fits BTW: the only way they can get their Megasquirt modules to work right is by regrounding their cars too).

 The nice people at Lotus/DMC stuck capacitors all over the car trying to quiet things down. They would have had better results with the 1981 equivalent of $50 of battery cable and copper connectors.

 What cracks me up is the DeLorean mantra of "cleaning your grounds." You can't clean the junctions -- they are soldered together. The problem that they are dirty -- the problem is that there are too few wires joining them together.

 Marc, David, Martin, Harold, et al have managed to tie themselves in knots over this issue. I choose to stand with Rob Grady, Dave McKeen, and the owners I have assisted, who not only clearly recognize the problem for what it is (it takes a brave man -- or a naive one -- to claim that the DeLorean electrical system is not problematic on its best day), but who also are just plain more mellow about the problem, and about its remedy.

 Do you like turtles?

 Bill Robertson

 --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> , Stephen Rice <stevedmc@...> wrote:

 > This reminds me of old BNC computer networks. Back then the whole
 > network was dependent on one wire. If a break in the wire occured it
 > could render the entire network useless. Then Cat5 ethernet
 > connections came along. You could cut the wire to any single
 > workstation and the rest of the computers could still connect to the
 > computer.
 >
 > I have no idea if single point grounding is still in use but it would
 > make sense to abandon it for a better technology just as they did with
 > BNC networks when everyone switched to ethernet.
 >
 > -Steve Rice
 > #16510

             ^

          Top

            Reply to sender
            <mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply to group
            <mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply  via Web Post

 .

            All Messages

 1b

        Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)

 Mon Jul 2, 2012 10:15 am (PDT) . Posted by:

        "content22207"         content22207
         <mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>

 Correction: Harold's Message #85598 is actually rather mellow -- he's not part of the current running around with your hands in the air crowd (we'll let Tom take his place).

 Harold does have a loose DeLorean wiring harness he can use to verify that the inertia switch is grounded via the ground junction behind the central HVAC duct.... (I've already unwrapped #2508's wiring harness to discover the same thing, but Harold could ring it out with a meter to prove it to anyone who doubts my research).

 Bill Robertson

 --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> , "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

 > Single point isn't the problem. Most cars only have one point to the battery itself. The problem is only seven ground wires leading back to the rear bulkhead bolt -- there simply isn't enough wire on the negative side. There is a terrible disparity between electrical cross section on the positive side and on the negative side. That is why the DeLorean electrical system is so ridiculously noisy (which is giving the EFI boys fits BTW: the only way they can get their Megasquirt modules to work right is by regrounding their cars too).
 >
 > The nice people at Lotus/DMC stuck capacitors all over the car trying to quiet things down. They would have had better results with the 1981 equivalent of $50 of battery cable and copper connectors.
 >
 > What cracks me up is the DeLorean mantra of "cleaning your grounds." You can't clean the junctions -- they are soldered together. The problem that they are dirty -- the problem is that there are too few wires joining them together.
 >
 > Marc, David, Martin, Harold, et al have managed to tie themselves in knots over this issue. I choose to stand with Rob Grady, Dave McKeen, and the owners I have assisted, who not only clearly recognize the problem for what it is (it takes a brave man -- or a naive one -- to claim that the DeLorean electrical system is not problematic on its best day), but who also are just plain more mellow about the problem, and about its remedy.
 >
 > Do you like turtles?
 >
 > Bill Robertson

             ^

          Top

            Reply to sender
            <mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply to group
            <mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply  via Web Post

 .

            All Messages

 1c

        Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)

 Mon Jul 2, 2012 10:19 am (PDT) . Posted by:

        "Marc Levy"         malevy_nj
         <mailto:malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>

 You have provided nothing to back up this statement (below).

 We do not know WHY the capacitors were added, but anyone that understands how a capacitor works would also understand how a bigger ground wire would never replace a the need/function of a capacitor.

 "noise" problems and "ground" problems are commonly confused, but are not cured in the same way.  The discussion (for me) was never about what advantages/disadvantages/need there is for bigger (or additional) grounds, but your connecting these 2 unrelated subjects and again blaming the engineers for it.

 Considering I have an EFI DeLorean, with LOTS of extra electrical demand over a stock DMC (because of the 1000W Stereo), this is a subject I have spent a lot of time working on, with the specific application of a DeLorean.

 The nice people at Lotus/DMC stuck capacitors all over the car trying to quiet things down. They would have had better results with the 1981 equivalent of $50 of battery cable and copper connectors.

             ^

          Top

            Reply to sender
            <mailto:malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx?Subject=Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply to group
            <mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply  via Web Post

 .

            All Messages

 1d

        Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)

 Mon Jul 2, 2012 10:40 am (PDT) . Posted by:

        "jtrealtywebspannet"         jtrealtywebspannet
         <mailto:jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>

 Again you get it wrong. The capacitors are NOT there to make up for any inadequacy of the grounding system of the car. They are there to remove any noise on the electrical system that can interfere with the radio's reception. There is PLENTY of capacity on the ground side PROVIDED the connections are clean. When the cars were much younger there were no issues with the electrical system that pertained to the ground side. What changed? The cars got older and connections corroded, especially on the cars that were subjected to weather. Older computer systems were VERY sensitive to grounding. You had to be careful not to create what was called "Ground Looping" so they all used what was called single point grounding and even that had to be handled very carefully. Most of that was overcome by software that did error checking and correction and sending packets (bunches) of information. Different circumstances than an automobile's wiring system which uses the wiring mainly for power.
 David Teitelbaum

 --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> , "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

 > Single point isn't the problem. Most cars only have one point to the battery itself. The problem is only seven ground wires leading back to the rear bulkhead bolt -- there simply isn't enough wire on the negative side. There is a terrible disparity between electrical cross section on the positive side and on the negative side. That is why the DeLorean electrical system is so ridiculously noisy (which is giving the EFI boys fits BTW: the only way they can get their Megasquirt modules to work right is by regrounding their cars too).
 >
 > The nice people at Lotus/DMC stuck capacitors all over the car trying to quiet things down. They would have had better results with the 1981 equivalent of $50 of battery cable and copper connectors.
 >
 > What cracks me up is the DeLorean mantra of "cleaning your grounds." You can't clean the junctions -- they are soldered together. The problem that they are dirty -- the problem is that there are too few wires joining them together.
 >
 > Marc, David, Martin, Harold, et al have managed to tie themselves in knots over this issue. I choose to stand with Rob Grady, Dave McKeen, and the owners I have assisted, who not only clearly recognize the problem for what it is (it takes a brave man -- or a naive one -- to claim that the DeLorean electrical system is not problematic on its best day), but who also are just plain more mellow about the problem, and about its remedy.
 >
 > Do you like turtles?
 >
 > Bill Robertson
 >

 > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> , Stephen Rice <stevedmc@> wrote:
 > >
 > > This reminds me of old BNC computer networks. Back then the whole
 > > network was dependent on one wire. If a break in the wire occured it
 > > could render the entire network useless. Then Cat5 ethernet
 > > connections came along. You could cut the wire to any single
 > > workstation and the rest of the computers could still connect to the
 > > computer.
 > >
 > > I have no idea if single point grounding is still in use but it would
 > > make sense to abandon it for a better technology just as they did with
 > > BNC networks when everyone switched to ethernet.
 > >
 > > -Steve Rice
 > > #16510

             ^

          Top

            Reply to sender
            <mailto:jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply to group
            <mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply  via Web Post

 .

            All Messages

 1e

        Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)

 Mon Jul 2, 2012 10:55 am (PDT) . Posted by:

        "content22207"         content22207
         <mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>

 I've spent a lot of time working on my DeLorean too (is it possible I know as much about these stupid little cars as the self proclaimed "gurus"...).

 Since we're comparing DeLorean sizes in the schoolyard: my car draws about 62 amps maximum (2,000 RPM, everything on except the window motors):
 http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/374927_303124723066118_184072810_n.jpg
 I may have the only DeLorean in the world that could reliably use a stock ground system, which makes its added super efficient ground bus very ironic indeed.

 Bill Robertson

 --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> , Marc Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:

 > You have provided nothing to back up this statement (below).
 >
 > We do not know WHY the capacitors were added, but anyone that understands how a capacitor works would also understand how a bigger ground wire would never replace a the need/function of a capacitor.
 >
 > "noise" problems and "ground" problems are commonly confused, but are not cured in the same way.  The discussion (for me) was never about what advantages/disadvantages/need there is for bigger (or additional) grounds, but your connecting these 2 unrelated subjects and again blaming the engineers for it.
 >
 > Considering I have an EFI DeLorean, with LOTS of extra electrical demand over a stock DMC (because of the 1000W Stereo), this is a subject I have spent a lot of time working on, with the specific application of a DeLorean.

             ^

          Top

            Reply to sender
            <mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply to group
            <mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>
 .

            Reply  via Web Post

 .

            All Messages

 1f

        Re: Inadequate DeLorean Grounding Identified (Big Red Circle)

 Mon Jul 2, 2012 12:02 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

        "Michael Griese"         roscsyl
         <mailto:mike.griese@xxxxxxx?Subject= Re%3A%20Inadequate%20DeLorean%20Grounding%20Identified%20%28Big%20Red%20Circle%29>

 Bill - That will work fine until all of the connections to your ground bus start
 to corrode. Still won't remove the need for capacitors though.

 If you don't believe me - remove them all.

 --
 Mike