From: "content22207" <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:47:23
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DML] Contemplating a Carb Swap

That *IS* a stock Renault PRV. I assure you I did not drill and tap a barb there.

Darren was very clear about which barb to use. When I bought the car it had a rubber vacuum cap on it. Darren explicitly stated that was the Renault vacuum advance barb and to plumb my distributor there. Unfortunately my eMail archives only go back to 2009, otherwise I'd give you a copy of his very eMail (for some reason I have to prove *EVERYTHING* to you -- remember the muffler I cut apart to prove to you where exhaust enters...).

You and he got *SO* much wrong in those early days. Thank goodness I found the Volvo forums, otherwise I'd never have sorted out all your bad advice.

For example, the Series 038 CPR does indeed very much have a vacuum barb on top. It pulls the CPR lean. When manifold vacuum drops, the diaphragm inside relaxes and control pressure drops. Here's what the nice people at Renault have to say about the subject: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/314764_422185471160042_1879028888_n.jpg
Yes it's very different internally from a Series 066 CPR, but I never would have known that listening to you two....

You love to hurl insults that I am too stupid or too lazy to understand K-Jet. That is 100% false (and a tad insulting). I researched my Eurospec installation, figured out its differences from a DeLorean installation, and tuned it all by myself (the DML was little assistance because nearly everyone on here is familiar with North American K-Jet, not European, and you and Darren were definitely a hindrance). Had my block not developed a rot hole -- a common affliction, thank you very much -- perhaps I'd still be running it to this day. In the winter of 2003 it was performing quite nicely, even though it overlaid everything on top of the engine and made even the simplest of maintenance tasks unnecessarily difficult. I definitely was settling in for the long haul: Spec .01 exhaust was developed while I was still K-Jet for one reason only -- to facilitate engine access from underneath the car (K-Jet still in place) for my next tuneup, heater core plumbing maintenance, slave cylinder access, etc.

Bill Robertson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Martin Gutkowski" <martin@...> wrote:

> Please stop referring to Darren as a friend of mine, he is not. However no stock PRV has a barb there and he would not tell you to use it had he seen a decent photo. He was referring to the throttle port beneath, of that I'm certain
>
> Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: