[DML] Re: Contemplating a Carb Swap

This is one of the most common reasons for considering removing the K-jet and going to a carburetor. I completely understand that. On the other hand the Bosch K-Jet is an early, simple, mechanical fuel injection system with an electrical enrichment system grafted on (Lambda). If you can figure out how to do a carburetor you can learn how to deal with the K-Jet. It is a rugged and reliable system but is very intolerant of dirt and stale gas. Once properly set up and running it requires little maintenance or attention. The most troublesome part is the fuel tank, pump, pick-up, and associated wiring like fuse #7 and the RPM relay. Even with a carburetor you still have to deal with all of that somehow. In most cases it is easier and cheaper to fix the K-Jet system then to convert. Once you get it running it is rare that you will get stuck with it. Most people's biggest problems with the K-Jet is to get it running well, but it still runs.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "vladivdracula" <lordvadus@...> wrote:

> Bill is right here; the technology I work with for my livelihood is 1970s cars with carbureted setups.  As such, I have a better understanding of it and can fix things a lot easier.  I've fixed many a carbed car on the side of the road and can easily route in a secondary fuel tank for a temporary setup to get me home with a spare gas can or the like.  You can't do that with K-Jet or EFI; regardless of how finely-tuned the system is.  EFI is unfavorable to me because I'm not familiar with the computer setup or how to adjust it.  I like my cars to have as few superfluous systems as possible.  Adding another piece of electronically-controlled equipment to the DeLorean is the LAST thing I want to do.
>
> Moreover, I don't consider carbs to be a "downgrade" to the car.  They make it more versatile and I'm fairly certain that the horsepower remains the same; at the very most, the difference is not a compelling argument for either.
>
> I've decided on going the carbureted route with my car, though I will be retaining all the original K-Jet parts because I want to be able to undo the setup and revert the car to original; the classic car salesman in me wouldn't accept any other option.
>
> After all, I make my money fixing cars with the setup that will be implemented on my car; why shouldn't I put it on the one I drive most frequently?
>
> Chad R. Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: