From: "content22207" <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:25:22
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DML] Re: Contemplating a Carb Swap

With all due respect, this is my area of expertise. It is possible I have more area specific knowledge than you do. I certainly have more practical experience in it than you do.

The Alpine has an atypical dual carburetor setup (for those not in the know, it's not a typical dual carb design -- the carbs are progressive. You idle on the one barrel, then transition into the two barrel as the throttle linkage moves). They did that for a reason -- to make the design streetable before transitioning into the two barrel carb over a common plenum (you do know that what looks at first glance to be a divided plenum under the rear carb is in fact a single plenum? If not, unbolt the rear carb, stick your finger into one throttle bore, then watch it appear under the other one). It's an attempt to get the best of both worlds.

I have nearly a decade of experience with a single plane intake manifold under a single carb on my DeLorean, thank you very much:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/303640_417941384917784_876532956_n.jpg
(I have two copies of this manifold BTW.)

For the morbidly curious, this is how Volvo made their single plane intake manifold streetable by dividing the common plenum in half:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/303640_417941388251117_1941625027_n.jpg
My industrial application engine did not come with that divider -- I have always run my Volvo manifolds single plane.

This is just a supposition, but I suspect I have more experience with the exact same carburetor on single and dual plane manifolds than you do....

I make dual plane carbureted intake manifolds from scratch for other DeLorean owners. I test drive every single one of them extensively before reinstalling my single plane manifold. I have also test driven a single carb on the Renault/Peugeot manifold versus the unusual dual solex setup (did you even bother to look at the pics in my earlier post?)

I corresponded with a British owner who struggled to get the dual Solex setup to work properly on his DeLorean -- it's harder than it looks.

In the absence of any practical experience, may I humbly suggest that you at least read up on the subject? Google "single va dual plane intake manifolds." There are pages and pages of hits -- this is only the very first one: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0601em_intake/viewall.html

With all due respect, you are standing in my sandbox now....

Bill Robertson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Martin Gutkowski" <martin@...> wrote:

> The Alpine GTA V6's I've driven (that's the non-turbo version powered by this carb'd odd-fire) are perfectly "streetable". Don't trash what you have no experience of...
>
> Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: