[DML] Re: Alternate Fuels..

If you look a a chart of energy densities, batteries compared to gasoline is terrible. If you compare refill/recharge times there is no comparison! Figure in the # of fill cycles and batteries are TERRIBLE. Gasoline happens to be a VERY efficient method of storing energy for portable uses. The biggest thing in gasoline's favor is that the flammability/explosive risks are already accepted by society. Try doing that today, good luck getting approved a vehicle carrying around 20 gallons of highly combustible fuel at 60 MPH! That is one of the bigger issues with Hydrogen. Never mind it is a little safer, it will rise in the atmosphere as opposed to gas which goes for the sewers to burn and explode in a confined space! We are getting WAY off-topic from Deloreans. At the present time it makes no economic sense to convert to alternative fuels, especially if it is not used regularly. Unless you use exotic (read expensive) batteries and controlers with regen braking you have very limited range. And to "refill" takes hours, not minutes. BTW, in a sense gasoline is "stored sunshine". It was originally plant matter which became crude oil and was then refined into gasoline. Too bad when you burn (oxidize) it you release carbon.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Martin Gutkowski" <martin@...> wrote:

> Batteries ARE a more efficient way of storing mains electricity because the production of hydrogen by electrolysis, then compressing it is less efficient.
>
> By mass, LH2 is a better fuel than gasoline but by volume it's considerably worse!
>
> Hydrogen is the fuel of the future, but there're too many problems to be overcome to make it economically worthwhile over petroleum fuels at the moment
>

> Sent from my BlackBerry®

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: