Re: [DML] Carburetion Thread

Harold was specific in his statement, and you even included it below-  "developed with fuel injection to meet California emission standards".

The PRV, as installed by the factory in the DeLorean, was done so to meet specific emission standards.   The fact that PRV's have been fitted with Carburetors prior to 1981 is true, but does not invalidate Harold's true statement.  Removing the fuel management system from any engine for the purpose of "dumbing it down" (simplifying) will obviously reduce its efficiency and increase emissions.  I am sure if the engineers could have figured out a way to just throw a carburetor on top, and still meet emissions standards, they would have!

I have seen your carb conversions, and think they are pretty good.  I am not sure "Rube Goldberg" refers to the quality of your installations.  The way I read it, Harold was expanding on your statement that many (most) 1981 vehicles were equipped with carburetors and catalytic converters-  which IS a true statement..  But you seem to be implying that your DeLorean carburetor conversion is therefore just as good (at meeting emissions) as any other 1981 carburetor.  That is something I don't think you have ever proven, and I think Harold's point was (and I agree) is that your setup would not pass 1981 emission standards.  I will take it one step further-  I think anyone running your carburetor setup with a catalytic converter will find their converter destroyed prematurely.

I don't doubt that the other owners you have "helped" have requested your assistance.  But I imagine it is as a result of your non-stop posting on the subject.  You take any and every opportunity to offer one of your customizations as a "fix all" to any problem someone has (the start of this thread is a perfect example-  a question about adjusting valves quickly turned in to an advertisement for your dual exhaust setup).  If I had a DMC that needed a full fuel system replacement, but wanted to get it running "quick and cheap", I might very well consider one of your fuel setups.  Those who you have helped may have been in that situation, and made a decision that fit their needs... but, that does not make it an "upgrade", and for sure does not make it pass 1981 emission standards, and most of all does not make it a "fix all".

--- On Sat, 2/25/12, content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Harold claimed that the PRV was
> designed for fuel injection:
> "You cannot possibly expect an engine developed with fuel
> injection to
> meet California emission standards to even come close to
> those standards again when you toss all the fuel components
> away and do a Rube Goldberg carburetor install." (Message
> #83534)
>
> That is patently false -- fuel injection was overlaid on the
> PRV nearly 10 years after its developement.
>
> For the record: the carb conversions I have done for others
> are not "Rube Goldberg" at all -- they are very carefully
> and painstakingly crafted to be as professional and close to
> a factory installation as possible. Not one of their
> recipients has complained to me that I made him a "Rube
> Goldberg" installation.
>
> Note also that every single person I have helped came to me
> and requested assistance -- I did not go to them. If I am
> guilty of anything, it is of saying "yes."
>
> Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: