[DML] Re: British Motoring versus American Motoring

[DML] Re: British Motoring versus American Motoring

This is bias and inaccurate on so many levels, i won't even bother to document it."

Then just don't comment!

Bill, I've been here in Germany (and driven quite a bit in France, Belgium, Nederlands, Austria, Germany, Italy and Switzerland and you're observations are pretty accurate.

1.  European laws are very strict on what condition cars can be in.  Older cars are taxed MORE in Germany.  The Germans have implimented laws in most large cities outlawing older cars.  It's now illegal for me to drive my 1985 G wagon into Stuttgart.

2.  Completely forgot about the Imperial Gallon!

3.  Premium in Germany is right about $8.00 a gallon thanks to the currently dropping exchange rate.

4.  I took my MINI Clubman S with 18's, swaybar, lowering springs and strut bar to Graz Austria and I pushed the car pretty hard to drive at the posted speed limits when off the highways.  I find that I often come upon curves on the Autobahn in Germany in the "speed free zones" that require me to slow down.  You'd think 140mph wouldn't be too fast for those sections of road but it is.

5.  German signs are pretty good normally...but good luck when using a GPS as there is constant road construction that GPS can't predict that messes up your routes.

6.  Germans haven't discovered pay at the pump either it seems, which is sad.

7.  I've only driven in the UK twice in the last 3 years, once in the '10 Clubman and once in my '85 Mini, but I didn't find it too bad...then again I was only going from Ramsgate/Dover to London and a little further.  Germany has a bit of this as well...mostly roads that are 2-way, but only wide enough for 1 1/2 cars!

8.  Duly noted, avoid the A5092!

9.  Europeans rarely drive pickup trucks as they love their wagons...which is odd because VW came out with the Amarok this year.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)