[DML] Legend Cars

I reviewed the large document I have titled "DMC Ride and Drive presentation November 16, 1981" which was given to JZD and other DMC management during a presentation at a track in Bridgehampton NY.

It does NOT list 501, but has lots of data on 502, 528, 530, and 558 and also some reference to the 2 Alpine test vehicles.

Looking through my own notes, I think the vin 501 data came from some documents that Mike Pack had.  I do not have a copy of those documents, but others in the community may.  Without that, I will have to concede to Rich that 501 may not have ever been at legend.

Still-  Where is 558?  :)

Vin 805 was reported to have had a Legend engine in it by Darryl Tinnerstet.  Darryl told me the car was destroyed in a fire, and he got the engine from it... but later sold all of the external turbo parts to another owner.  I did see the engine when I visited Darryl, but there was nothing on it that I could use (at the time-  I have to check my notes and see if I have the engine serial number, IIRC 0479, and can compare it to my legend documents) to confirm it was legend.  Last I heard, Chris of PJ Grady (UK) purchased that engine from Darryl.  He may have (or have not) disassembled it to see if it is Legend.  If this story is true, someone out there has the external Legend parts on a non-legend motor, and Chris has the rest of the engine that can potentially be restored (if it has not been already).

01860 also had an automatic when I purchased it.  When Fred saw it at a DMA event years ago, he mentioned that there were some advantages to having the turbo on the automatic.  Most noted is because you don't have to come off the throttle to shift, the boost stays "on"..  I have since converted 01860 to 5 speed.  I don't know if Roy's car was also converted to 5 speed when (if) it got the Legend engine, but I only mention it because I was not sure if you were saying it was "unlikely" based on the transmission.   We do know Roy was a powerful guy in the DMC organization, and I don't think it is too outrageous for an executive like him to demand one of those engines for his personal car.   Either way, it is still something I have not seen any documentation to confirm or deny.