[DML] Re: Re-wire of fan relay for A/C "ON" condition

[DML] Re: Re-wire of fan relay for A/C "ON" condition

The compressor definetly cycles as it should and if I have just a little velocity the car will stay cool, but I was roasting in stop and go freeway traffic last summer when little air was passing over the condensor. That was not fun in a virtually windowless car.

I am corrected - I should have said that the fans should cycle when the compressor is energized and not when the A/C is "on".

The black/orange wire is one of the ones in the "leftover" bundle, so I'm just guessing that when I test it I will know to reconnect it to the fan relay and it should take care of the problem. And then all I would have left are a couple of extra wires to figure out when I am around an original car.

Someone used to sell a good color wire diagram and I should probably buy one for other helpers to use, even though they are almost useless for me.

Thank you for your help.

Lee Edmonson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@...> wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> Keep in mind that as designed, the fans should NOT always run when the A/C is
> on.  They should only run when the compressor clutch is activating the
> compressor.  As a result, your cooling fans will cycle in rhythm with your A/C
> compressor.  It's also noteworthy that once you are going about 30-35 MPH, the
> fans have no real function because there is already enough air coming across the
> condenser.
>
> As for the wiring, it's wired in a manner of "who gets there first".  Either the
> wires from the otterstat will trip the fan relay module to turn on, or the A/C
> clutch wire.  The wire is pink as it connects to the compressor, and
> black/orange by the time it connects to the fan relay in the relay compartment.
>
> There is one other thing to check: I fixed a suddenly broken A/C system for an
> owner at DCS last year by tracing it to a dirty/loose connection at the bulkhead
> connector.  A failure there will drive you crazy because you take for granted
> that the signal is making it to the inside of the car.  Reading your symptoms, I
> would almost bet your compressor isn't cycling either.
>
> Getting a good wiring diagram will make this a breeze for your electrical
> engineer friend.
>
> Jake Kamphoefner
> 1063

<*> Your email settings: