[DML] Comments about the DeLorean Owners Association

[DML] Comments about the DeLorean Owners Association

An Open Message to the DeLorean Community ?

I regret this must be written.  Very simply, much of what was recently posted was inappropriate.

It is sad how when people band together to bash a group, that it can be done with such ferocity and viciousness that objectivity to the truth is lost.  As a result, misinformation gets amplified to the point the uninformed will believe such as fact.

>From my perspective, I feel like I would be trying to talk sense to a mob, so it is really not practical to respond.

Yet, for those who are willing to be objective, and can consider the situation may be different than what you may have recently read, please consider the following facts.

A long time ago, there had been action in the form of a lawsuit.  I've personally heard from many who witnessed it, and understand there was more going on than "a Board against one person".  Some acted inappropriately, on BOTH sides. Nobody was innocent.  In the end, the effort was frivolous and a waste of money.  I don't ever expect to know the full truth, but then also do not think it matters.  That was then, this is now, so move forward.

In terms of being "elitist" - to what level that may have existed has been gone for a very long time.  I work to listen to what the "community" (a word I've used religiously) is interested in, and move forward to provide support and magazine content along that line.   I've also worked to setup and hold events, or to provide support to other events (which, of course, includes DCS).  The rest of the Board does the same.

I get at least one phone call or email a week regarding help on a car, product, or event.  Just like Josh, Joan, Jim, or anyone else on the board, I do the best I can to get the information or parts to the person so they can move on.

In terms of secrecy ? there was mention of public information "being kept private".  Why is it then possible to Google a few key words, and see the financial information pop up on your computer from the government website?  The information IS free and available to look at.

Based on the Association being incorporated in California, most of the earliest Boards were solely from that state.  That was then, and made sense.

Using technology to communicate, the Board is now comprised of individuals from several states and countries.  This is now, and makes sense.

In terms of Board structure ? the Association is a membership organization.  The members have a right to nominate and vote for their board.  Such happens on a regular basis, and works for those who pay for the privilege.

When it comes to membership, it is obvious there is a difference between a free organization, and one that involves membership dues.  Obviously, any free organization will gain larger membership numbers than the other.  Yet, to provide elements such as a magazine, store, or an event, there are monetary costs involved.  Whether it is a publication, a DeLorean Expo, DCS or other show, or a product, such never comes to fruition out of a financial vacuum.  It comes out of a membership fund, ticket sales, and/or the promoter's own pockets.

The fact a large number of people continue to pay dues must mean something is being done right!

Chapters are common in most international car clubs.  Some members of the community have mentioned they don't need to have a chapter in their area.  Others have asked if they can start one.

There are financial and insurance benefits for a local group as a Chapter.  With these benefits, there also comes responsibility, as the benefits are regulated by the IRS, with liability by the insurance company. There is no free lunch.  If this cannot be appreciated, there can be no benefit.  If not, then by all means, stick with a local club, and flourish.  There is no compulsion to be a chapter.

If you want a magazine, consider a membership, and receive "DeLorean World".  You will also receive the new "Stainless News".

"DeLorean World" is the longest running, and arguably still the best quality publication in the community.  The frequency of publication has not been consistent, but in the last few years, NO magazine has been published consistently.

Many well-known members of the DeLorean community intend to continue supporting "DeLorean World", as they believe in it.

If an Association member wanted to read the bylaws, they could get a copy.  There has never been a restriction.

Oddly enough, some of the feedback I've received (in the last few hours) has been to NOT publish a link to the bylaws, as those who are flaming us would love to find ways to rationalize faults in it.  In fact, there is a call to remove such until the world "becomes normal again".  Such will be withheld at this time.

I recommend to everyone who believes in the institution of John DeLorean to join whatever group you feel comfortable with.

If you are just an enthusiast with no car, join up with a group and still enjoy the fun.   This includes attending local clubs in your area, shows such as a DCS or an Expo, and especially Eurofest 2011.

For help, anyone may contact me personally through the Association web site, by starting at www.deloreanowners.org, and then clicking on the Board link.  I can get you the information you want, parts you need, or refer you to the best location as the next step.

As an end, I must address the fact that very simply, we do not need this kind of free speech against the Association.  Just like mud slinging during a political campaign, it will hurt, or outright ruin, the work of many who did such for you, the community.

If the moderators let further attacks get posted, please read such with an open mind.

Thanks to all with the kind and supporting words.

Regards to all,
Ronald Ferguson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional