RE: [DML] Overheating from Coolant Leak

Paul.  My experience was similar, I had to get home and figured I could
make it.  In my case the car stalled about a block from home, and I
ended up having to replace the head gaskets.  I hope your situation
differs.

Keep in mind that with a coolant rupture,  the temp gauge will be
inaccurate.  As soon as the coolant level drops below the sensor, it no
longer works properly.  I discovered this one day on the freeway when my
otterstadt clip failed and I dropped all my coolant in about 30 seconds.
I could see nothing wrong from inside the car at 60 mph, but another
motorist flagged me down and said I was leaking gas very badly (he
thought the fuel tank was in the back and the engine in the front for
some odd reason).  The temp gauge never moved.  On that occasion I was
able to re-insert the otterstadt and refill with coolant from a nearby
7-11 and had no lasting problems.

The two morals then are to stop the car immediately when you think you
may have a cooling problem, and to put a cable tie around the
otterstadt.