RE: [DML] Empty Tank (was Re: automatic transmission?)

RE: [DML] Empty Tank (was Re: automatic transmission?)

Ahhh yes the dreaded empty tank syndrome that can fool the best of us! That
can happen when you're using mileage conversion methods (fuzzy math?)
instead of a working fuel gauge.

Peter's description of the symptoms led me to think it was more likely an
engine issue as it's not often an auto transmission causes an engine to
stall. When I started the car the pump immediately gurgled with an obvious
fuel air mixture more befitting the combustion chamber than the fuel tank. I
didn't want to overlook anything however so I attempted to drive down the
block a ways. Not a good idea as I almost didn't make it back to the house!
The vibrating shifter was nothing more than the driveline jerking from a
severe lack of fuel (a human analogy would be you'd be jerking too if your
lungs were starving for air!) and the pump noise tends to transfer through
the frame tunnel so it can be misleading as to its origin.

I'm glad Peter posted before me as I didn't want the collective DML brain
trust theorizing for long on the most obscure possibilities imaginable over
a case of "empty tank syndrome". To add a car related spin on the old adage
"when all else fails read the directions" or check the gas gauge! All is
well that ends well and I hope Peter has a "Jerry Jug" for some gas cause
that car isn't making it to no gas station.no Sireee!

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

  _____