[DML] automatic transmission?

I'm getting a noise from the Timachne, a new noise, that has me worried. I've been driving it regularly since the snow went away, but just local stuff around home. I drove it work on Friday, ~25 miles each way. On the way home, and near home, I had to slow down for a car making a turn. There was an odd sort of vibrating sound that seemed to come from the back of the car, and the engine stalled. I restarted, continue on. Same thing happened when I slowed down to make the turn towards home. Same thing happens every time I slow down, not at first, just as one gets fairly slow. I can feel vibration in the auto trans shift lever when this happens, almost like squealing but not so high pitch. If I put it in neutral before slowing down the sound/vibration seems less and the engine doesn't stall. If I leave it in gear it is more likely to stall. My immediate sense is that it is something to do with the transmission computer, or perhaps that something in the transmission is binding as it tries to downshift to lower gears. It is fine on acceleration, upshifts fine, doesn't seem to be any slippage, no funny sounds,...

The shift computer was recently professionally replaced, and I've only put a couple thousand miles on since then, so perhaps it is less likely that is the problem. I checked trans fluid, looks clean, pristine, and the level is correct. No indications of overheating. Nothing seems to be getting unusually warm.

Any suggestions?

Don't want to drive it any more until this is understood, for fear of doing damage.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)