RE: [DML] Warm Up Gone Wild

  A "jumping" RPM is "normal" for this engine set-up in the Delorean. After it warms up-IF there are no other factors- the RPM's should pretty much settle down to ~750.  After I had my fuel system overhauled, I noticed my RPM would start out "normal", then slowly creep up to a 1500 RPM idle. I thought it might be the mixture screws. When I drove to Snowmass, CO for the Delorean Convention several years ago, the RPM's acted "normal" there. Interesting. Returning home (Tulsa), they slid back up to 1500 at idle.  After ~18 yrs of this I finally checked the back of the engine & found one of the 3 vacuum lines disconnected. Aha! Reconnected the middle hose and VOILA! idle is back to 7-800 RPM.  Who'da thunk?   I feel so much better now!      Drive Stainless    Robert   VIN  6924

> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: dmcvegas@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:44:36 +0000
> Subject: Re: [DML] Warm Up Gone Wild
>
> Once the car warms up, is the idle steady? Any work done in the engine compartment at all right before this happened?
>
> Could be a few different things. Vacuum leaks can play havoc like this as the fuel mixture tries to enrich and lean itself, and the Idle Speed Circuit starts fighting to maintain a specific idle and the unmetered air enters in and itself can cause the idle to increase. But more information is needed.
>
> -Robert
> vin 6585 "X"
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike French <mdfrenchij@...> wrote:
> >
> > In the interest of keeping a close watch on the car, I've noticed that
> > the warm up has started to go wild. It used to warm up steadily between
> > 750 and 1000rpms. Then settled at just under 1000 after two or three
> > minutes. Now, it cold starts and begins idling wild, dipping into 500rpms and jumping
> > up close to 1500 while warming up. This also happens on a warm start
> > and the only way to get the car to settle down to normal steady idle is to press the
> > accelerator and run it for a few seconds. I always maintain a full
> > charge on the battery and the car is always garaged. Want to deal with
> > this before it gets worse. The car has 5,500 miles on it. I replaced the alternator at 4,000 miles with a D110 due to a bad Motorola original. The alternator has not given me any issues. Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional