[DML] Re: Tune-up

I have had the +4's for many years, and have driven the car as a daily driver for a few of those years as well;in rain snow sleet and sun. There has been no problem until recently.

My condition is that the engine severely misfires for a long time when wet and/or also misfires when I first start the car when it is dry. It also likes to rev itself up the about 1500-2000RPMS when the engine first turns over.

I checked the spark wells and found a whitish colored corrosion on the metal but no water. The spark wires are not cracked or warn out and I cannot see where they may be leaking. I don't see a need to replace the plugs unless anyone suspects they are definitely the culprit but since I've only just began having troubles I am going to wait and try a few more things prior to replacing the plugs.

I have not cleaned ANY of the connections in the engine compartment including the resistor or all of the connections by the coil. I will try to clean those connections as well as the ground strap to the engine and see what happens. Then I will get a new cap+rotor and probably the coil as well. I had a 1950 Buick that was sitting since the 70's; I changed the oil and fuel, cleaned out the fuel lines/filter and it fired right up with the original 6 volt coil from 1949. I'm not sure how much the coils deteriorate over the years so I doubt the coil is bad on my car.

Aside from the accumulator - my whole fuel system is about 5-6 years old. The filter of course is not that old but I will put one of those in as well while I am at it.

The intake was last taken off the engine in December to change the thermostat. It was reinstalled with new o-rings.

I am not against using new plugs just as long as they don't build up carbon or require higher octane than 87

I would use the car as a daily here in FL, but in its running condition I am too skeptical. I'll get to cleaning off all of the contacts to the engine including the ground to frame. I am half tempted to grab a battery cable and install it from the bolt holding the ground to frame-to the engine block.

I appreciate all your responses, keep em coming! You guys are giving me more ideas of problem areas than I originally thought of. I'll let you know what the contact cleaning did - if anything. -----Dani B. #5003

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)