[DML] Re: Question regarding loose steering column

[DML] Re: Question regarding loose steering column

A loose steering column is usually a worn or missing steering column bushing. On one car I saw the honeycomb mesh area that is supposed to collapse had several breaks in it. Easily weldable. You do have to remove the column to do it properly. Same for the bushing. I have also seen where a loose bolt on the intermediate shaft U-joints would't tighten up and let the system have too much "looseness" or play in it. I have also seen where the adjusting mechanism for the tilt-telescopic was not assembled properly and wouldn't tighten up making everything feel loose. You really have to look and see where you are losing motion. Have an assistant turn the wheel back and forth while you go looking for where parts lose motion. All the way from the tie rod ends to the steering wheel.Any play is cumulative. ie, it all adds up, it doesn't cancel out. That means a little play here and a little there, by time you get to the steering wheel it takes a 1/4 turn before the wheels start to move! That's an exageration but on a good Delorean the steering wheel is VERY tight and responsive with almost no detectable lost motion.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "pat" <patmolamphy@...> wrote:

> Hi, took 5252 out for a long drive last week, seem to have a front tire out of balance.  It somehow has made the steering column loose.  Before I start trying to find where to tighten it up, any ideas from the pros?  The column itself (including the steering wheel) are loose, through the wall.
>
> Thanks for any tips
> Pat

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional