[DML] Re: Brake and clutch fluid for storage

[DML] Re: Brake and clutch fluid for storage

My DeLorean has aprox 100,000 miles on the clock and I've flushed the brake system every two years since new using Castrol dot 4. I still have the original calipers that have never been rebuilt and the braking system still works great. I did replace the master cylinder once. The only modification I've made is braided lines. The system is very adequate for everyday driving but the original DeLorean brakes aren't suited for hard competitive driving. They will overheat much too quick. In some hard driving around the track at Road America during an eastern Wisconsin sports car rally several years back I found out just how useless they become when they overheat. Coming into turn 5, a 90 degree turn at the end of a long high speed straight, I almost introduced my DeLorean to a pile of tires used to slowdown cars that don't make the turn. We'd driven about three non racing but quite spirited laps around the five mile long track and I was a little more than surprised to find no reaction when I applied the brakes coming into turn 5. Thank god for lower gear ratios!  I think my wife's fingerprints are still in the right side of the dash. The agreement for running the track during the rally was no passing other than on the front straight and if anyone goes off the track everyone will be pulled off. I probably came close to being lynched from the closest tree by the other participants if I'd ruined their day by going off the track. It was fun though a bit exciting for a moment.

Bruce Benson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: