[DML] Re:DOA

The way I see it if several of the Delorean *entities* can combine into a larger entity then, even though many people are members of both the new entity would be larger. Maybe large enough to start to see the ecomonies of scale. If that is not enough then the possiblity exists for Deloreans to merge with another car club, for instance the GTO's or the Bricklins Or Lotus. It is very true the Delorean club can never be a large club like Porsche, ACD, AACA, JCA or many of the other larger clubs. If the magazine is so much of the cost then maybe it's time to just go electronic and ditch the paper magazine. Before the Internet clubs had to have a newsletter at least with the attendant printing costs, and mailing costs. Now clubs have alternatives. My model for a club would be to make it free, an electronic newsletter and magazine, and have the events generate enough revenue to pay for themselves through a cost for each event. A little extra can cover other expenses like insurance. A "super club" of all things Delorean could become ambitious enough to maybe consider a museum for all things Delorean. As it is now the Delorean community is to fractured. Way back the DOA had it right in trying to get everyone under one umbrella organization. BTW I would consider renaming the DOA. It has a lot of historical baggage and many consider it "Dead On Arrival". Too many still associate it with Ed B.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Oliver Holler <oholler@...> wrote:

> Here's my 2 cents! (Why not?!)
> Hurrah for Josh.  You're a good guy and I hope the wolves don't eat you.
> Clubs are fun.  (or they CAN be fun. . .)
> They are not necessary, but can give people a sense of belonging and
> purpose in this blink-of-a-moment life.  Clubs can help organize
> useful data or preserve artifacts perceived as 'Important' to the
> community.  Clubs can enhance members lives with gatherings.  Maybe
> even fund raise for a charity and help cure a disease or two.
> I'd join if dues were cheaper, and more than paid for itself in
> discounts and other benefits.  Nothing wrong with that.
> I'd strongly suggest, like others have, to start by changing the
> name.  DOA  as MOST people recognize it: 'Dead On Arrival', is an ugly
> insult to the DeLorean automobile), plus it has that delightful stigma
> of the club's history.
> It's also not all-inclusive.  ('OWNERS only need apply.')  Also, now
> with John's passing, it's inappropriateness is refreshed.
> Just change the operating title, or the 'DBA'  if you don't want to do
> a lot of work changing the red tape stuff in the bylaws, etc. (Insert
> whatever excuse you can think of here.)
> I know changing the outside doesn't change the inside, but it looks
> like the guts are on the mend too, so why not start anew.
> End of an era.  You can still boast '25 year Anniversary', etc., even
> if you've changed your name.
> Let's see how this 'bold' notion of change is deeply resisted (or
> readily embraced) by the board.
> Have fun,
> Oliver Holler
> 10694