[DML] DOA questions?

Okay.after going through the archives, I dug up these questions that may
still need addressing.  If you still have any more, let me know, and I'd be
happy to answer them as best I can, or refer you to the person who can best
answer it for you.

>From Kevin Abato, I found these:

1. What benefits does one get for having membership to the DOA?

I answered this in the last e-mail to Marc, but since then, I found a more
complete answer on our website:

As the largest independent car organization in the world, the Association
appreciates the support of its members in promoting the value, image and
mystique of the DeLorean automobile.

Members enjoy:

-          A subscription to DeLorean World Magazine

-          Access to the largest network of DeLorean owners, both nationally
and internationally. Members come from all over the world beyond the United
States, to Canada, Mexico, Japan and Europe

-          Technical advice on the DeLorean automobile from our network and
help line

-          Membership access to our website which hosts the 'DeLorean Cafe'
forum and a wealth of information for the DeLorean enthusiast in the
membership area (under construction now)

-          Plus exclusive offers available only to Association members

-          10% off all DeLorean Store products

-          And instant membership to all local Chapters and Chapter events

2. Where do the funds go? (All organizations should be able to make their
treasury available to its members)

I asked Ken Baker about that this morning, and we do make our financial
information available to all members upon request.  This should also be
published in the magazine.  I believe the Association used to do this, if
they don't still.

3. Why has DOA not offered any assistance at the past two DCS shows? They
had a presence in "the sandbox" but failed to play with everyone.  Instead,
they sat quietly in their own corner

I hope that my involvement speaks volumes about the desire on both sides to
build a better connection between the DOA and DCS.  Both parties recognize
what the other is good at, and my goal is to develop an efficient
collaboration between DCS and the DOA for future events, so we can better
pool our resources and aren't duplicating efforts unnecessarily.

3.5. Do you intend to recognize DCS as a national show and dedicate
resources to assisting with it?

I'll put that on my agenda for discussing with the Board during our November
15th  meeting right now!  We do of course recognize Ken K's efforts, but it
would make sense to formally recognize it for the good of the community.  We
did have a booth at DCS West, but I think we can do much better!  Looking
forward to being much more involved in Lexington next June!

4. What is involved in your "revitalization" plan?

Join us on the 15th, and we'll discuss.  Primarily, it involves making sure
we are more open and receptive to input from our members and the community.
We need this before we can claim to have a decent magazine, or shows, or
anything else for that matter.  How we go about doing that will be discussed
at the meeting.  I have some ideas of my own, and have received some great
ones from the community, but I want to present them to the board and our
members first, prior to making them public, to make sure we are in
agreement.  Following the meeting, I will make sure to answer that question
more thoroughly here.

>From Pete Lucas, I found this:

Although I am positively predisposed to the idea of a vendor-independent
national DeLorean organization, I have been racking my brain trying to
figure out what I, as an owner, need that isn't already being met by DML,
DCS, and PADOC (our friendly little Pittsburgh-area self-help group--no
officers, no dues, no squabbles, just friendship, mutual aid, and beer). So,
what possible need isn't currently being met?

So far in following this thread, I have seen only two plausible proposals:

1) A permanent archives/museum for preserving and presenting the historical
record of the Marque.

This is already underway with the DeLorean Museum that was started at DCS in
Chicago.  We plan to work with the Board of this organization to make sure
our efforts aren't duplicated here.  I think we all want to see a permanent
physical location come to fruition.  The squabbling over where it should be
placed will be interesting though!  I vote for a place of historical
significance to the DeLorean Marque.but that still leaves it wide open.
Maybe Trump will sell John's old estate to us for cheap some day!  Rest
assured though, that the important artifacts are in good hands, who want to
make sure they are displayed publicly as often as possible until the
permanent physical location is secured.

2) A first-rate, properly maintained and organized central repository of
technical information of value to owners.

I nominate you to take on this project Pete!  DMCNEWS has a good start to
this.  So do a few of the fan websites out there. (including mine) We need
people like you with a passion, and desire to see things through to take on
these kinds of projects.  If you don't, you can't expect that someone else
will.  I'll support you in any way that I can with this effort if you'd like
to take charge!  Let me know.

I hope that helps a bit.  Like I said, if you still have other questions,
let me know, and I'll be happy to help if I can!

Best,

Josh

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional