[DML] Tesla (Elon Musk) VS DeLorean

IMHO, Anyone who calls DeLorean "slow" is demonstrating their ignorance of automotive history.

First off, he calls it "shitty" but only backs that up with a negative (and innacurate) comparison of the power to a Honda Civic.  Even if his statement was correct (which it is not), that does not make the car "Shitty"...  (There are a whole list of reasons that can be complied from this mailing list that could be used to argue the car is "shitty"...  But, that is irrelevant).

1981 Honda Civic is 0-60 in 15.1 seconds.
1981 DeLorean is 8.5 seconds.

This time frame in automotive history did not exactly produce "fast" cars.

1981 Corvette is 0-60 in 7.2 seconds
1981 Ferrari 308 is 7.6 seconds
1981 Porsche 911SC was a real screamer at 6.3 seconds.

Maybe Musk does not realize the DeLorean came out in 1981, because it's style is timeless.. It is possible because he was only 10 years old in 1981, and living in South Africa!!

I think it is somewhat of a compliment that Musk chose to compare the Tesla to the DeLorean.  He is trying to make a car cooler than the DeLorean!  Too bad in the process, he demonstrated his lack of knowledge about automotive history.  It is a shame for him, because I suspect he has the same "forces" working against him that DeLorean (and Tucker) had when they tried to compete with Detroit.  I wish Mr. Musk luck, and in 25 years we can judge if he did a better job than DeLorean.

--- On Fri, 8/28/09, Randal Atamaniuk <martydmc12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Musk Determined that Tesla Not Be DeLorean: Musk tells
> Fortune, “Why did DeLorean fail?…Because it was a
> shitty sports car. It
> may have looked cool, but it had the acceleration of a
> Honda Civic.
> That’s what our car would have been with the motor we had
> and the power
> electronics we had connected to a single speed.” So not
> big news, but
> we like thinking about the DeLorean.
>
> Not exactly the most positive choice of words.  But
> then again, perhaps I'm misinterpreting.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)