[DML] Re: Spring rate (bad shocks)

Rich,

Tom is correct...sounds like the shocks may have failed or are
failing.  Marty had some supply issues with the manufacturer
who changed factories several times, and in turn, also changed
the outside diameter of the external shock case (on the rears).

IIRC, Marty has now gone with another name brand shock supplier
and has not had any issues with this supplier.  I have an early
version of this setup on the Grand National powered DeLorean
for over 5 years now (Marty's test set) and they work great.

The Grand National DeLorean is also running Marty's springs,
which are also still working well after 5+ years installed.
Although this car has sat more than it had been driven up to
2008, it has been used much more often since Gettysburg show.

The "new" version of Marty's shocks are a little stiffer than
the previous offering, but certainly not like rock hard OEM.
Marty still fabricates a custom collar for the rear shock set
and it is easier to do this with the new supplier tolerances.

I just installed a set of these shocks on a club members car
this Fall (with Marty), using Grady front springs, stock rear.
The owner has driven neary 5K miles on them since, along with
new tires, and the car drives better than it has in 12 years.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@...> wrote:

> Rich, it sounds like one or more of your shocks are blown.  Push up and
> down on each corner of the car, and see if you get bounce.  If so it
> could be the shock.  Also visually check the shocks for oil on them,
> another sign they are blown out.

> Everybody has shocks these days.  Marty has an updated set, Hervey sells
> several options, and I'm running DMC Europe's adjustable shocks now
> (they go from soft to rock hard without tools).

> Tom
>
> 10901
>
> 03238

<*> Your email settings: