AW: [DML] UPDATE: PROBLEM FIXED Re: Idle gradually increased to 1700 RPM

AW: [DML] UPDATE: PROBLEM FIXED Re: Idle gradually increased to 1700 RPM during warm up

Hi Dennis,

those idle speed "motors" tend to have rusty bearings, you can open the
screw on top of the bearing

and lube it. At least it won't harm

I don't get why it makes a difference if it runs at 2000rpm because of the
idle motor stuck open

or the spool moved by hand. Air is still measured and there should be no
reason for a lean condition.

Great to hear you solved the problem.

Elvis

Ok, After finally getting back my car today. I had the time analyze the
situation better. With a cold engine I fired it up, It went to about 900-950
rpm which lasted about 15 seconds and then began climbing to 2000 rpm
steady. After about 2 minutes running at that speed the EXHAUST starts
turning colors. This time I am able look at things closer and see the BOTH
sides are starting to glow. MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT OF the LEFTSIDE ONLY WAS
UNDER HURRIED CONDITIONS AND TURNED OUT TO BE INACCURATE. MY FAULT SORRY.
So, after some over the phone diagnostic help from DAVE SWINGLE I found the
cause to be a STUCK IDLE SPEED MOTOR. The valve was stuck in the open
position. CARBONED UP. With the key on you could hear the motor buzzing
Trying to work but it would not budge on it's own. I was able to see into
the port that connects to the CSV pipe and watch the valve with power
applied. No movement at first. I stuck a small screwdriver into the port in
an effort to see if the valve would move. It did not. Dave said, the Valve
should rotate freely. Mine did not. However, I was able gently pry the valve
shut. Their was noticeable drag moving the valve. Then I put power to it
again and the valve started moving back to the previous position. I repeated
the process 4-5 times to loosen things up and then was able just pry to
valve open while the power was applied. The motor was finally able to push
back against my prying. I reconnected the short hose and FIRED IT UP. ROCK
STEADY @ 775.

Oh YA just for grins, I increased the RPM to 2000 to see if the headers
would still GLOW. Well, I am happy to say they DO NOT. This confirms that
with the Idle speed motor stuck open it caused the very LEAN running
condition.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and tips.

Dennis

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: