[DML] seat belt

I am in the process of repairing my passenger side seat belt and I have a few questions and comments.  The reason I have to repair the seatbelt is the threads securing the loop at the floor bracket have disintegrated.  There was a faint smell of battery acid on the belt, so I assume that at some point battery acid was spilled on it.  This is something you may want to check on your own car.  I did not find it until the belt came completely loose from the bracket.  The belt strap appears to be unaffected, just the thread dissolved.  I have removed the belt and plan to have it stitched.  Has anyone ever had their seat belt re-stitched before?

Making sure I route the strap through the bracket the correct way, I noticed the brackets (driver and passenger) on my car appear to be reversed from the drawing in the parts manual.  There is a slight angle to the bracket at the end of the belt that mounts at the floor.  Mine are mounted with the top of the bracket curving towards the outside of the car.  The drawing in the parts manual shows the bracket curving in towards the car.  Curving in appears to align better with the direction the belt is in when it is buckled, but if I mount it that way, then the lay of my belt is different than in the drawing.  There is no way I can get my driver side seat belt, in its current configuration, to run like the one in the drawing.  So how do your seat belts compare to the drawing?  Is this the difference between a LH and RH seat belt?  Could I have a RH seat belt on my driver side?  If someone could email me directly some pictures of a correctly installed set of seatbelts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Wyatt
DMC5497@xxxxxxxxxxx
VIN5497

<*> Your email settings: