Re: [DML] Re: tracking down a power drain

Re: [DML] Re: tracking down a power drain

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the tips.  I'm afraid my problem is deeper than simple  things
like door lights (fixed those almost 10 years ago!).  It appears  stereo amps
will draw down power even when the key is out of the ignition,  according
to a car audio shop in town.  My only solutions appear to  be:

1. Install a switch on the battery
2. Get a bigger battery
3. Plug my car into a trickle charger if I don't think I'll drive it in the
 next couple days
4. Hook up a relay to the ignition switch and amp so that it only receives
+12 from the battery when the key is in the 'on' position.

I'm liking the relay idea most because that will avoid having to flip a
switch behind the seat all the time and also lose my radio stations.   Anyone
know what kind of relay I should buy to do this?  Where in the  electrical
panel is the best place to receive a hot signal from the ignition  switch
without hacking everything up?

Andy

In a message dated 5/26/2009 7:27:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,