[DML] AC blower fan strength/velocity

I know we had a discussion about a week ago about the velocity of air from the AC/Vent fan and I wanted to add something interesting

Since I got my car in 2001 I have always felt the velocity of the air was very weak.  Even on speed 4.  Often my fan would cut out if it was too hot.   I replaced the fan in 2004 with a Hervey unit to fix a noise issue.   The fan still did not blow any stronger, but was much more silent than the original.

Recently, as per James Espey and Rob Grady's suggestion, I replaced the relay for the fan to correct for the issue of it cutting out.   WOW!!!  My blower works SOOOOOO much better!   It blows really strong now and I can feel air hitting my face from the center console.  Before I could hardly feel it with my hand just 8 inches from the dash!

I wish I had done this simple $6 fix/upgrade years ago!   John hervey sold me a relay with the replacement fan, but I never understood where it went exactly, or that it would fix the cutting out problems I had.

Thanks to Rob and James for the diagnostic and suggestion at the DMA spring social, and also to Steve Cosgrove who came over to hang at my house and said "yeah, that's easy to swap out...let's do it now." we replaced the relay in about two minutes and now I am much more comfortable in my car.  :)

I guess the relay was really shot!  I used the same clips to attach the leads, so I'm not sure it was the contacts causing it

Kevin Abato
VIN# 16680
www.grenexmedia.com

<*> Your email settings: