[DML] Re: Idle gradually increased to 1700 RPM during warm up

[DML] Re: Idle gradually increased to 1700 RPM during warm up

Rob,

Actually it was a hell of drenching rain for the first 80 miles coming back from DMCMW and quite nerve racking. Everytime I hit standing water the front end would Hydro plane and pull hard one way or the other depending on the which wheel hit the water first. I definitly experienced a few BUTT pucker moments and the wife was with, which just added to the white knuckle drive.

The Cap and Rotor is Bosch. Wires and Plugs are the DMCH(NOLOGY) Kit. I would estimate about 15K on them.  All items were installed shortly after DCS Pigeon Forge.
The coil is still Original. I was in the Fuel tank last summer Every thing was clean NO rusty components or sludge in the tank bottom either. As far someone being in the engine recently. I'm the only one that works on the car and have not had anything apart back there for a 2-3 years now w/8K of uneventful driving till this EVENT.

Dennis

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <rob@...> wrote:

> Dennis,
>

> That extra info helps a lot! How old is your distributor cap, rotor,
> wire-set, and spark plugs and, equally important, what brands are they? You
> have defective, incorrect, old, or improperly installed tune-up parts to be
> sure (Or that was one hell of a monsoon you drove through!). Bad wires are
> the most common problem and usually get better after drying out for a while.
> If water fills a spark plug well, or the distributor cap is cracked, the
> problem will not usually go away on its own. As Tom noted you may also have
> a vacuum leak and yes a lean condition could cause the header to glow. It
> seems like your problems have at least two contributing factors involved.
> Has anyone worked on the motor recently as most PVR vacuum leaks are created
> by improper repairs as opposed to natural causes such as gasket or O-ring
> failure? My guess is someone was in there recently? Check for a loose
> fitting idle air regulator brass vacuum pipe as the possible sudden high
> idle condition. Again I still suggest that you double check the fuel tank
> for problems there unless you are certain that everything is in good shape.
> I haven't come across an original fuel pump support or cover boot that is
> still in good condition in many years. The newer fuel blends are only
> compounding the problems for these marginally engineered parts. EVERY
> DELOREAN OWNER NEEDS TO KNOW WHETHER THEIR FUEL TANK IS IN PROPER SHAPE OR
> TRUST THAT THEIR MECHANIC KNOWS!
>

> Rob Grady,
>

> P.J.Grady Inc.

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]