From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
David Teitelbaum
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 10:39 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: Idle gradually increased to 1700 RPM during warm up

The glowing exhaust is a symptom, not a cause. It is caused by unburned fuel
getting into the exhaust. Possible reasons include:

Leaky injector
Problem in Fuel distributer
Misfiring cylinder due to ignition problem or mechanical problem

The fact that you only see one side glowing means it is a problem on that
side or one of the 3 cylinders on that side, not all of the cylinders or a
whole system.

The high idle is probably a different problem possibly caused by an air leak
in the induction system after the mixture unit allowing "false air" to get
into the motor. Additional fuel will not speed the motor up, it takes air to
do that.

A couple of things to narrow down the problem. Pull the spark plugs and
examine them. That might point you to the cylinder right away if one is
dark. Do a compression test to rule out mechanical troubles. Check the fuel
injectors for pattern and leaks. Do a visual inspection of the secondary
ignition system, vacuum systems, and induction system. Sometimes you get
lucky and can spot the problem visually.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> ,
<rob@...> wrote:

> Hi Allen,
>

> A plugged converter will be the result of the problem as opposed to the
> cause. A plugged cat always has a cause and it's usually excess fuel or
> ignition misfiring or both as either problem tends to cause the other. The
> task at hand is to figure out which started first. It's kind of like "the
> chicken or the egg theory"!
>

> Rob Grady,
>

> P.J.Grady Inc.

<*> Your email settings: