Re: [DML] Re: Rotting Deloreans

The forces exerted on the chassis as a whole when up on axle stands are
exactly the same as the forces exerted on the chassis when it's on its
wheels. The only difference is the load points are moved from the top of
the shock towers to the bottom, ie removing the load form the shock
towers. The rest of the chassis remains the same.

Steel doesn't change property over time unless it corrodes.

I too have felt the weight of the chassis, having removed and restored
three, and assisted reassembling a 4th. I'm also heading towards the end
of my first year mehcnaical engineering degree which placed a fairly
heavy (heh!) emphasis on materials selection.

Having said all this, I always use blocks of wood on top of the axle
stands to spread the load with something that won't damage the epoxy.

Martin

cbl1739 wrote:
> If you are talking about a NEW frame --maybe--and for SHORT term storage... You can do that...but in 2009 on a original frame that has typical use(ie:wear and tear) and is not a trailer queen--and storing for more than the winter season...not a good idea...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)