[DML] Wolfhead wheel (stainless re-graining)

[DML] Wolfhead wheel (stainless re-graining)

I'm about to dive into stainless steel re-graining.  I'm now armed
with a 1000 RPM pneumatic drill and a beater RF fender to practice
on.  All I need is a Wolfhead wheel.  For those of you who have
experience with these (or even an old Vonnegut wheel), could you help
me fill in a blank or two?

1) What grit abrasive matches the factory grain? I've read where
others have used 60 and 80 grit, but I've seen no consensus between
these two.

2) What slashing pattern for the (aluminum oxide) abrasive is best:
1/4 or 1/8 inch?

3) What width wheel to get: 1, 1.5, or 2 inch?  I'd assume 2 inches is
a better choice since it covers more surface area... unless there a
compelling reason to choose a narrower wheel?

I know from talking to G&P machinery that some combinations of the
above may not be made, but I have too many variables to figure out the
rest without some trial and error.  Any insight would be much-
appreciated!

Many thanks!
Travis

<*> Your email settings: