[DML] Re: COMPUTER GOV.

Hi Elvis.

Agreed on all counts.  By "manual", I meant it like Subaru does in an SVX automatic, for example.  You push the "manual" button, and the transmission doesn't automatically downshift any more than one gear below the setting of the shift lever.  Poor choice of words on my part. I like that mode, because it prevents the transmission from thrashing as much, though it does throw away more power in the torque converter.

Totally agree on the heat roasting the capacitors.  The point about excessive voltage was made by somebody else.  It may be true they are nominally over the voltage, but it seems plausible they would survive if they weren't so hot.  I've only seen two governer pcb's but the capacitors definitely looked cooked to me.

The thing about that little circuit board that impresses me above all else, is how amazingly inexpensive it is for how much it does.  Very few parts, all of which are cheap, on a single sided phenolic board.  I do seriously admire it for that, though it seems a little too cheap to me by today's standards.  I would have spent a little more to buy some margin.

Thanks for the mouse nest picture.  No pressure.  If it's a hassle, life will go on without it.

Rick.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@...> wrote:

> Rick, manual shifting would be great, but there are reasons why nobody sold
> a simple
> plug in circuit where you can shift yourself.
> If you override the governor there is no protection against shifting in
> first gear
> at high speeds anymore.
>
> do it once wrong - your tranny starts dancing salsa - for the last time...

[moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: