AW: [DML] Re: COMPUTER GOV.

After about 10 repaired Governors and almost 20 years of
electronics experience I still don't get why jump starting
would kill the governor ?

Welmoed - the caps dry out - they are not even connected
to the 12V system !
They never see that spikes that may be generated by "jump starting".
This is an old theory, a guess from people who didn't have
the schematic back then. I took my time and drew the schematic,
I bet it was the start for several other projects and rebuilds
in the last >5 years. It had little mistakes (kick down circuit),
but that didn't matter to prove that jump start theory wrong.

There was a series of electrolytic capacitors used that dried
out earlier then other ones. I can show pics.
These may be 20 to 30% of the failing governors.

Broken Transistors ?
About 10...20%.

Most reasons are bad solder joints. Bad, because heat and
vibrations loosened the resistors and other parts over the years !
It doesn't matter if the caps were dried out or the transistors
shot - all of them had bad solder joints ! 100% !!!
depending of which parts get loose first you won't feel it.
And what was first ? a broken Transistor or loose solder connection
that led the transistor to overheat ?

(Never seen burnt traces yet, how many are there ? Is there a
reason for it visible ?)

moving the electronics away from the heat and vibrations of the
tranny will increase its lifetime extremely !!!

And now please stop telling those people out there that jump
starting the car will kill their tranny, this just generates
fear and doesn't help them at all.

Sorry but these old theories keep showing up even though they
were never proved !!!

I'd be interested to see those new PCB's that different
people/groups developed over the last years, but I'd never
give up my 5 speed for it :-)

Elvis & 6548

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "delorean1@..." <delorean1@...> wrote:

> I am on my 3rd computer gov. Has anyone com up with a better unit? My
third one just went south. thanks

Jump starting is a major cause of failure of the GC.
Don't know if you had to do that a lot.
If so, taking out the fuse while jump staring may save the GC.

Other reasons for failure are the power transistors (RCA) not being replaced
by TIP42C, burnt traces on the circuit board, usually caused by broken
soldering at components, etc etc.

If you can use a soldering iron and take care, you may be able to "overhaul"
the GC yourself. The other option is to find someone who can near you.

Three times in a row, however is not normal IMO.

Welmoed.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: