[DML] Was Re: REBUILD OF STEERING RACK Now Technology

[DML] Was Re: REBUILD OF STEERING RACK Now Technology

I think it is not so much each technology but the way it was combined along with the stying cues. The Vari technology would have put the Delorean far ahead if it had been used. The steering and suspension was State-of-the-Art at the time which is what Lotus was best at. Lotus was (and still is) masters of the "Parts Bin", using existing technology and mass produced parts to create affordable low production super cars. Remember, there was a LOT of pressure to produce a marketable product in a very short time. A lot of compromises were made (dumping the Vari technology for instance). Delorean wasn't so much trying to provide leading edge technologies when proven and mass-produced stuff was available. For the drivetrain it would have been imposssible to do it in such a short timeframe and they couldn't afford it anyway with all of the certifications and emmission testing. IMHO the best was yet to come if DMC could have stayed in business. For a market entry 2 seat sports car it was one of the best ever done in the quantities and timeframe allowed. Remember too, they didn't use an existing factory, it had to be built from scratch before they could make more than a few prototypes. And the factory WAS State-of-the-Art at the time.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> >--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rmclemns@ wrote:
> >
> > One thing to remember, our car is "cutting edge", 1970's technology,
>
> Actually it's pretty pedestrian 1970's technology. The engine dates to the late 1960's. K-Jet was introduced in 1975. Lotus has been using backbone frames since the early 1960's. The list goes on: standard brakes, standard steering rack (albeit filled with oil rather than grease), standard headlights, etc. Even our substandard Lucas components were off the shelf.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)