[DML] Re: A/C troubles

You are correct, there is no temperature switch that prevents you from running the A/C when it is cold. Not directly anyway. When it is cold the pressures are lower (Boyle's Law) so if you are already low on refigerent when it's warm, trying to run the A/C in cold weather you may not have enough pressure. That said, it should run a little, just enough to dehumudify the cabin air and run the compressor just enough to wet the seals. A/C systems are best left untouched. If you have a minor leak for years maybe it isn't so bad. Get some soapy water and actually test it. As for if there is enough refigerent, test the system when the ambient air is above 60 degrees (70 is better). Run the A/C with the doors closed at idle and stick a thermometer in a vent. You should see at least a 20 degree difference, ie, at 70 degrees the vent should have 50 degree air.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "stainlessilusion" <5n-@...> wrote:

> > That sounds like normal operation.  I would bet your system is working perfectly.  Why do you want to run the A/C when it's cold?
> >

> I was under the impression that the air conditioner should turn on regardless of temperature. Elsewise how is the refrigerant going to cycle through the system? Why do I want to run the A/C when it's cold? ---Defrost. Newer cars cycle the A/C when you use defrost to rid the air of humidity/moisture; aids in the defrost cycle to get rid of the fog on your windows. If you look at the mode switch disassembled, you'll notice there is a slot for metal to lay in order to turn on the A/C when the switch is positioned in deforst. (see my post at dmcnews on this process: http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/modeswitch.html). Of course, your car will defrost without the A/C on; but venting warm moist air on the windshield will likely only make fogging worse depending on conditions, or it will take longer to remove the fog you have on the windshield. -----Dani B. #5003

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)