From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
content22207
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:59 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Angle Drive

The gear teeth in a Smith's Industries drive are very small and do not mesh
deeply at all. Combined with the natural tendency to bind because they are
rotating into each other, it is a recipe for failure. The brass bushing that
holds the spindle gear is also liable to wear oblong, further exacerbating
alignment problems (usually on the vertical axis). Altogether it is a very
unfortunate design.

Every time angle drive deficiencies are mentioned, some owner pipes up with
a "my angle drive is fine after 500,000 miles" story, as if that one
instance is supposed to invalidate the legions of owners who have suffered
repeated angle drive failures. Shear numbers speak louder. The vast majority
of DeLorean owners have suffered angle drive failures, usually multiple
times. It is a badly designed part that suffers premature failure -- period.

Bill Robertson

[moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional