RE: [DML] angle drive

  While you are filling your "piggy bank" for the new part, pull BOTH upper & lower speedometer cables, clean thoroughly, then relube as they are inserted into their sheaths.  I have found "Lubriplate" to be quite effective for this. Also squirt a skosh of oil at the back of the speedometer around where the cable inserts. This may very well take care of the "bouncing needle syndrome".  Even if you end up having to replace your angle drive, you will know the rest of the system is taken care of.      My first car, a 1952 Chevy, exhibited these symptoms, as well as speedo "squeeling" when quite cold. The needle eventually spun around in circles, then droped off. Bummer!  Did the clean-&-lube thing, glued the needle back in place, and.... Voila!   Good as new!    Yes, I have also dealt with my DeLorean speedo thusly.   It's the "ounce of prevention" thing.        Drive Stainless      Robert     VIN  6924

> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: fhudkins@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 15:38:12 -0600
> Subject: Re: [DML] angle drive
>
> One comment in this thread caught my attention: a bouncy speedometer needle.
>
> Is a bouncy speedo needle a symptom of an angle drive about to suffer failure?
>
> My speedo needle has been bouncy ever since I bought the car over
> 5,000 miles ago, but it hasn't got more or less bouncy that I can
> tell. Should I start saving my pennies for a new angle drive, or are
> all DMC speedo needles bouncy to a certain extent?
>
> Farrar Hudkins

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: