From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Toby Peterson
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 12:13 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Angle Drives

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@...> wrote:
<snip>
> They now have the 3rd or 4th gen but I don't know how they call it
improved also when everything they come out with or if just new is
new and improved. They use the words loosely.
<snip>

With "all due respect" to John, there were several subtle and
important improvements in materials and tolerances with the currently
available angle drives from DMCH and the authorized dealer network.
With a small mechanical assembly like this, it's the small and subtle
things that will make or break it.  I used to work with tolerances of
a few ten thousandths of an inch in the aviation biz, so I do have
some idea of the critical importance of tolerances.  Long before
these new angle drives were made available to the general DeLorean
community, I yanked a perfectly good original angle drive out of
Winged1 and replaced it with one of these new units.  I have flogged
that car regularly, putting on several thousand miles and I have not
been able to get the angle drive to even break a sweat, much less
break.  One trip last spring averaged 92 mph across the state
according to one member of the caravan who had a GPS unit.
(My "sincerest apologies" to the Washington State Patrol).  We have
installed these in dozens of cars that have come through the shop
without a single issue.  I just wanted to "tighten up the words" a
bit.  Now, about that 140mph speedometer ...

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DMC Northwest
DeLorean Parts Northwest

<*> Your email settings: