RE: [DML] Re: DeLorean magazines.

Ron,
I was always a supporter and contributor of GULLWING.
(BTW, you still owe me a print of the last issue!!!)
Some things I would like to analyze would be the printing costs,
packaging costs and mailing costs as compared to profits.
This is not taking for granted the time spent actually making the content.

Now consider that my server at netfirms.com costs me $120 per year and gives
me 20GB of space, huge bandwidth and the ability to operate 5 forums and lots of
other features like photo servers, news wires, etc.

So in contrast consider that you could put together a HUGE website that supports
streaming video, photos, interactive forum and much more.
If most of the DeLorean owners out there and some of the fans also joined in
you could get some decent traffic.

The ability to see exactly who is clicking when and where is powerful.
For instance, YouTube now features some amazing tools for monitoring
the demographics of it's viewers.
Here is a perfect example, one of my most viewed YouTube DeLorean related videos
is Rich W's segment on "Monster Nation" with almost 70K views.
The country that it is MOST popular with? France.
Followed by the US, Canada, Spain, Australia, Poland, Portugal, Belgium, Lithuania and Germany.
Only 30% of the viewers found the video due to searching for it where as 56% found it while
looking at "related videos".
It was most watched by men 35-55 at 25%, followed by 25-34, and 45-54.
Only 13% of the total viewers were female.
Of course these stats change from video to video.
Some videos have a huge 55% of viewers 45-54.

These type of tools would be useful to make an effective worldwide website.
It could easily be free or subscription based, could support advertising
and the users themselves would provide most of the content.
For the few cave people who insist on getting printed materials
send them a post card!!!

- Videobob
VIN#5278

To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gullwing-magazine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 19:30:48 +0000Subject: [DML] Re: DeLorean magazines.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kevin Abato" <delorean@...> wrote:> Make the magazine FREE. Advertisements pay for the time to design it (the only real "cost")> > Kevin Abato> VIN# 16680> www.grenexmedia.com In principle I agree with the idea of a free electronic magazine but I believe you would run into the same problem finding advertisers for such a small viewing audience. Yes, it is true that more DeLorean enthusiasts would visit a free web magazine but I don't think it would be a dramatic number. Think about the fact that we have only 2200 members on the DML. There are 2600 members on DMCTalk... probably some duplication. But how many of them are even active... probably less than 10% (moderators, you can probably give us a number on this). Even if you could get 10,000 hits an issue, I dont think you would draw many outside advertisers. Early on in Gullwing Magazine I worked hard at trying to get support from "outside" type vendors and they all want to see big numbers of people that spend money looking at their ads. Even in my personal business I look at how many people will see my ad and how much am I spending. Maybe an option somewhere in the middle would be to produce the magazine on a CD. CDs are cheap and easily/cheaply reproduced.Ron

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)