[DML] Re: Magazines vs zines

Magazines are one thing but for most small local clubs a magazine is
way beyond a local club's finacial capabilities. Electronic
newsletters eliminate printing and mailing costs allowing clubs to put
membership dues towards club functions that directly benefit members
as opposed to the printer and the Post Office. Now the single biggest
cost for a local club is insurance. In many car Marques and other
"clubs" the operating model is for the local clubs (chapters) to fend
for themselves with local events and a newsletter. They charge dues
and either a part of it goes to a national organization or the members
are required to pay it directly. The national organizes the big
national event and produces a magazine. They may also help with
insurance, it varies a lot. I am NOT advocating this model, only
pointing out that it is difficult for most clubs to do a magazine.
Most car clubs do NOT let vendors produce the magazine but they accept
advertising. From what I have seen the DOA with the magazine
origionally published by Delorean One was very unusual. With the bad
experience of the DOA organizing and running local chapters and then
cutting them loose and then demanding their treasuries I don't think
the Delorean community is going to do that again. DCS is the closest
thing we will probably have to a national organization. Ken needs to
find a way for the show to support the magazine. DMCH should realize
it is cheaper to give Ken money for advertising and provide content,
it's less expensive then doing their own magazine and it will free up
James E for more productive things. I must be old fashioned, I like to
get magazines in the mail but I also get then over the 'net for some
clubs too. I print them out too. Someday they probably will all be
electronic. Printing is not very environmentally friendly especially
if you consider what it takes to make paper and the transportation of
it all.
David Teitelbaum

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional