Re: [DML] DeLorean magazines.

Ken - you are absolutely correct.  The reason that mainstream magazines
can go with an online model is that they are trading paper production
and distribution costs for severely reduced subscription revenue.  The
business model is that they get their revenue on the advertising side
and don't really care about how many times a download gets
copied - they are after eyeballs for their advertisers.  The problem with
the model is that they can't reliably count eyballs for all of the copies,
so advertising rates drop as a result.  To keep that from happening,
PDF or other "bounded" content is not provided.  You have to navigate
the site to see content, and printing is limited to one article at a time.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from KKoncelik <kKoncelik@xxxxxxx>: --------------

> I totally disagree with this statement below.
>
> The suggestion was to do it for free or for advertising
> Anyone out there willing to pay the advertising fees?????
> I thought so. to pay for it per hit is interesting but we did not find the volume needed when
> we looked at it before.
> We always consider the possibilities but so far it did not show any promise.
>
> If we put it online it will get sold to a few and then copies will float. You would be surprised the number of people that call and ask for a free copy
> just because they know me. We have discussed this with the other publishers as well. There is no way to control what happens to a download once it is done and the way things get copied
> we felt it would lead to a quicker death of the magazines.
> Ken

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: