[DML] Re: DeLorean World Magazine Stage II Article

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> I asked if there was any compensation only because in the past when
> the DOA solicited articles they offered some magazines. Remember, they
> get a lot of money for their magazines so I think it is only right
> that if you send them something (that they are going to make money on)

I'm not going to comment on the issue of sending out a reward for an
article, but I would like to say a couple things on the money making
perception of these magazines.

Having done Gullwing Magazine for 3+ years we found out early on the
expense of producing a limited circulation magazine was unreal.  The
only way to get the kind of numbers people are used to paying for a
magazine is to go to the printer with big quantities.  Problem is, if
you sold a magazine subscription to every known to exist DeLorean owner
your production cost would still be high.  Magazine printers are used
to dealing in the hundreds of thousands of copies.

So what most magazines do is sell advertising.  Well, the D community
is out of luck there also.  All we have is DMCH, Grady, SpecialT,
Pearce, and a few others.  But these few devoted vendors are no were
near enough to support a magazine.  We tried pulling in outside
companies to advertise, which is hard given the fact that there are not
a bunch of aftermarket vendors that have anything for the DeLorean.
Even when we found some interest the first thing they want to know is
what is your circulation?  Even if you told them you sold a
subscription for every DeLorean made they would laugh at those numbers.

The bottom line is that any magazine in the D community is not a money
making machine.  Support for the magazines is marginal at best.  I know
for GW, the numbers were no where near what we had anticipated.  And
after speaking with others making magazines at the time, I think they
had hoped for more.

Anyway, the good news is that the small community of D owners still has
three magazines.  Do your best to support your favorite.

Ron

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: